Starting Up A Business
Are you thinking of starting a business or have you recently started one and need advice? Setting up a business is an exciting and inspirational opportunity but it can also prove to be challenging especially on your own. Woking Works are pleased to be able to announce our greatly enhanced business support programme to help you on your journey to success.
The Start-Up Woking programme is now into its fifth year during which it has provided critical advice to over 300 Start-ups significantly improving their chances of success. We are building on this success by broadening the range of support provided as well as now making the business advice long-term to improve the impact on the success of the business.
Start-Up Woking programme
This new membership group will be the vehicle for qualifying start-up or young businesses trading up to 3 years. Members who commit to participate in this new community will enjoy the following benefits;
- Free annual advisor meetings & ongoing support via phone and email
- Additional mentoring or one-to-one support on specific topics available at a lower rate from the advisers
- Woking Works Corporate Partners – Free one hour meeting to discuss finance, IT, banking legal or marketing questions
- Referral to other relevant local support e.g. Enterprise M3 Growth hub, or the Governments “Start-up” loans scheme
- Fast Track. Future stars with above average growth potential who display innovation will be offered an enhanced membership e.g. funding pathway, IPR, SETsquared to support etc.
• Promoting your service to other local businesses via Woking Works Directory and Woking chamber
• Special rates for Surrey and Woking Chambers of commerce
• Access to Export support
• Free “Start Your Own Business” book
• New “Start-up Woking Network” where you can meet regularly with your peers & have your burning questions answered by experienced Woking business owners
• “Start-ups corner” with spaces at discounted rates at “Woking Means business” the borough’s annual business show
• Quarterly “Masterclasses” provided by our partners
• Special rates on space sharing and hot desking
• Commercial space identified by the council or partners, particularly in the hard to find hard to find 500 to 2500 square feet range for offices and ‘move on’ space for established start-ups.
NB some of the above are only working names at this stage e.g. start up working network
Start up Business Clinics
Start-up Business clinics provide the opportunity for all Woking companies established or start-ups with the opportunity to meet with one of our experienced business advisers to obtain tailored advice relevant to specific issues or opportunities that they face.
Whatever you want to work on, these clinics can help you.
• Writing a business plan.
• Establish the viability of your business
• How to find customers
• Which are the best local networks to join
• Sources of funding
• Pricing your products
• Marketing for beginners
• Put the right technology in place
• protect your ideas from copy (Intellectual Property)
You should have a basic business plan ready before you come to your appointment. This plan should outline the following points:
- What your business will do - what is your ‘elevator pitch’? Can you explain what your business will do, in fewer than three minutes?
- Why it is different – and what is your unique selling point? If you have an example of your product, bring it with you to the meeting.
- Have you conducted research on your competitors?
- Where do you expect to gain finance for your idea – and how much money you think you might need?
- Who you expect to use your product / service?
- Who will you work with and where?
- How will you promote your product / service, for example website / advertising / social media.
Please collate this information into one document, with a summary of the key points readily available. If all of this is ready to go, we look forward to hearing from you.